Connect with us

7 On 7 Madness!

Home FORUMS The Stands 7 On 7 Madness!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dirk Knudsen 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Old Coach
    Participant

Boy things sure have changed in just a year or two.  What is up with 7 on 7?  Is that going to replace football as we know it? Seems like everyone has a league or a tourney!  What the heck is that all about?

The Houston Chronicle had a good story on this last year and they talked about how the sport itself is really more about offense than defense because the defense can’t really hit.  Any thoughts on that?

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/highschool/article/7-on-7-football-not-for-everyone-but-it-fills-a-7946057.phphttp://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/highschool/article/7-on-7-football-not-for-everyone-but-it-fills-a-7946057.php

Steve Faber
    Participant

It’s well about defense too, just maybe not so much about intimidation. The team with the better defense often takes the whole thing in 7v7, especially in tournaments where defensive stops and INTs are worth points. That brings up a whole different issue about 7v7, though: inconsistent rules. It’s still growing, and many sports in their infancy had league specific rules, but it’s definitely confusing at times.

As for not being able to hit; you may not be able to light people up, but as anyone who’s been to an elite level 7v7 tournament can attest, there’s plenty of hard contact. Will it replace football as we know it? Not in our lifetime, if ever.

Dirk Knudsen
    Keymaster

Good feedback.  No one should be allowed to compete without a certified Helmet.  The rules are often not applied and referees often favor the home team.  I would see more padding and flag football blending into a partial contact model– and yes I agree.  7 on 7 is insured as a non-contact Sport but many injuries happen all the time.

Dirk Knudsen
    Keymaster

Good feedback.  No one should be allowed to compete without a certified Helmet.  The rules are often not applied and referees often favor the home team.  I would see more padding and flag football blending into a partial contact model– and yes I agree.  7 on 7 is insured as a non-contact Sport but many injuries happen all the time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar