As things come to a close in the regular season the OSAA Poll and Power Ranking will go through some final adjustments. This will lead to seeding in the brackets both top and bottom and the outcomes will potentially sway the future and the outcome of who will win it all. As sports writers we don’t necessarily always agree with the way these ratings breakdown but there we can do little to change it. One thing for sure is that this method has proven superior over the WIAA systems of having predetermined match ups before the Season starts by League and finishers. This Oregon system is pretty darn fair in the end.
LISTEN TO OUR ESPN RADIO SEGMENT TONIGHT ON AIR RIGHT HERE THAT COVERS THIS STORY!
Now rankings do not win games- players and Coaches do. So we wanted to take a look at the top few teams based on this OSAA Ranking and give a special mention to some kids that are just at or under the radar. It is, in my humble opinion and experience, these guys that win the big games. As the best teams start to match up so do the teams with the best players at the top. And in a massive life sized game of chess the top players counter each other blow for blow. No team will win in the playoffs however without the entire squad manning up. Take your top 3 athletes off the field and who would win? This is the question we look at now.
In the past our Champions have won big games on depth first and foremost. Take Grants Pass for instance at #3. Does anybody want to play them? I doubt it; at least not early. And yet when you look for a big time college recruit on the Cavemen’s squad you will be hard pressed to find one. This team has been laying waste to opponents and we know they are loaded at all positions. In the end those great High School football players are who are just off the limelight are the ones we predict will get it done and carry the trophy off.
Based on these 5 or 6 top schools here are some kids we want to mention as game breakers and potential College prospects who have not received as much press as they should: NOTE: THE STAR PLAYERS ON THESE TEAMS ARE NOT BEING MENTIONED IF THEY RECEIVE PRESS ON A REGULAR BASIS!
(1) Tigard Tigers: Kevin Henderson (6’1″- 305 lbs Linemen), Brady McGetrick (6’2″- 185 lbs WR), JT Greenough (Senior QB), Derek McMurray (LINEMEN- 6’7″- 345 lbs), Nikko Thomas (6’4″-200lbs WR/ATH)
(2) Central Catholic: Tyson Cooper (Linebacker/Athlete), Saadiq Calhoun (DB), TJ Salu (Center – 6’2″- 280lbs), Sam Gomez (Linebacker- 6’0″ 250 lbs),
Matt Vanoudenhaegen (LB), Tobe Okafo (Linemen- 6’4″- 260 lbs Junior)
(3) Grants Pass: Javan Appling (6’1″- 200 lbs QB), Easton Bents (ST/ATH), Zach Hannan (*RB), Ben Dean (RB), JC McKinley (6’2″- 180 lbs. WR/T)
(4) Sherwood: Mason Rivers (RB- 765 yards 9 TDs 5’8″- 190 lbs) Jakob Eisenbeiss (B 564 yds 12 TD’s 6’2″- 195 lbs) David Morris (SO. RB 230 Yards and 2 TD’s- 6’3″ 195lbs), Zak Taylor (TE- 6’3″- 215 lbs)
(5) South Salem: Gabe Matthews (6’2″- 195 lbs- 2500 yds total and 34 TD’s), Connor Fohn (WR – 640 yards and 12 TD’s) , Davis Carter (LB/RB – 5’10”-205 lbs- 100 Tackles and 7 TDs)
(6) Sheldon: Austin Tharp (6′ 205 lbs. – 124 tackles LB), Willy Spears (Linemen – 6’1″- 260 lbs- 75 Tackles 5 Sacks), Logan Comer (6’1″- 196 lbs RB 755 yards and 13 TD’s)
Other lesser known or still under recruited kids we are watching this week-
Court Hammond – Crescent Valley (SR)- 6’5″- 230 lbs – TE / DE – Helping his team to a 3 game burst and a shot at the playoffs. He is an explosive player. Watch his film
Alex Walker – Camas – Senior linemen (6’4″- 265 lbs) is leading an 8-0 Papermaker Linemen group and has the size and ability to play at the next level. Watch His Film
Nate Hawthorne- Columbia River – 5’10” 185 lbs. WR/Athlete – 4.47 speed and a scholar athlete. He is one of the very best in the entire Region – Watch His Film!
Liam Fitzgerald- Camas – Junior QB (6’1″- 190) is tearing it up and proving he has the ability to play in college and lead his squad to a Title Game potentially. Watch His Film
Austin Brisbee – Westview – Senior (6’4″- 180 lbs) How can you beat this kid? You can’t – The best QB in the State of Oregon right now and a top 5 in the NW I dare say. He leads almost every single category in the entire region at 2500 plus yards and 34 TD’s and is just playing at whole other level. Spectacular truly and the Cats could be making their deepest play off run ever. WATCH HIS FILM
James Price – Camas – 6’2″- 200 lbs WR – Best in the Region- Landed Offer #1 from Tuskegee University in Alabama- More will follow: Watch His Film
Next Week- We look at the next 6 Teams in the Top 12 as mentioned above-
Teams At The Top In Oregon OSAA Polls Feature Lesser Known Stars That Make The Difference