The playoffs begin in Oregon Friday night and already anticipation is high that the match-ups are going to produce some interesting results. It seems like a good time to circle up the wagons and have a look at some facts and figures as we move ahead. Most of the best athletes in the State have emerged by now and they can power their squads into the play-in round.
Here is a look at some athletes we are watching closely:
- Ian Meyers – Westview – The 6’2″- 230 lbs speedster plays DE and Tight End. His performance at Tight End has been more then noteworthy. He has 793 yards and 11 TD’s and is averaging 19.8 yards per catch. The big kid will run over defenders once he has the ball in his hands. The Senior is getting some recruiting love and we can see him just getting better all the time; colleges will be moving in on him. Catch Ian’s Film Here.
- Jordan Happle– Jesuit High WR. 6’1″- 190 pound Junior. Led the Metro League as leading WR with 10 TD’s and 1,069 yards. He did this on a Run heavy team- beyond that one of the best Defensive Backs in the Region. Catch Jordan Happle’s Film Here
- Top running backs in the State are going to propel many of the best squads into the deeper rounds. On the Top 15 Rated Teams we see many of the best backs; crucial to moving ahead. Here are the best backs from the Top rated Teams – From Oregon Live-
- Landon Floyd ranked #8 in the State with 1,055 yards and 14 TD’s and plays for #2 Tigard.
- Trevor Bovero was rated #5 in the State with 1.311 Yards and 18 TD’s for #12 Westview.
- Zach Hannan was rated #6 with 1,101 and 11 Td’s and he plays for the #3 ranked Grants Pass Cavemen.
- Chase Morrison had 1,058 yards and 24 TD’s for #7 Jesuit; the kid is prolific.
- Conner Mitchell had 1,058 yards and 10 TD’s for #13 Oregon City.
- Nick Janakes had 918 yards and 14 TD’s for #10 North Medford.
- Sirgeo Hoffman rushed for 1,721 yards and 22 TDs for #26 Gresham and was the State Rushing Champion.
- Austin Brisbee – Westview – He finished the regular season with 3,058 Yards Passing, 34 Touchdowns, 66% completion ratio and only 6 Interceptions. This folks is amazing.
- Other 6A QB’s with top yardage- maxpreps ranking.
- Tim Tawa – (SO) of #8 West Linn – 2,137 Yards, 28 TD’s and only 3 TD’s! Wow super sophomore there.
- Gabe Matthews (Jr) of #6 South Salem- 1991 yards, 28 TD’s and 5 Interceptions- 65% completion ratio. Great regular season
- Troy Fowler (Sr) of #10 North Medford- 187o yards – 19 TD’s and 4 Ints. –
- Eric Dungey (Sr) of #22 Lakeridge – 1630 yards, 17 TD’s and 8 Ints
- Here is the thing. Brisbee is standing alone with these stats. No one else is even close and yet he holds one NAIA Offer. This is a perfect case of a young man that College Coaches did not see enough of in the off season but who we believe they wlll coming to watch tomorrow night as Westview hosts Lakeridge in perhaps one of the best games of the night. Eric Dungey holds multiple offers and we believe coaches will be coming out to see him and Brisbee among others. We look for a spirited game and one that will hopefully not get out of hand.
- Other 6A QB’s with top yardage- maxpreps ranking.
- Wesley Riddell – Central High School – 5A Running Back- State Rushing Champion. This young man has run for 2,488 yards to date, 30 rushing TD’s and 3 more through the air. That is an average of 250 yards per game rushing. Congrats to Wesley!
- Austin Tharp– (Sr) – Sheldon High School – Best tackler in the State with 141 Tackles and 4. Sacks. The 6’0″ 205 lb linebacker is averaging 16 tackles per game.
- Davis Carter – South Salem – (Jr)- 5’10” – 205 lbs. – 125 tackles – 84 solos. Great RB and overall athlete but this young man is fearless.
- Kellen Strahm – (Sr) – Sheldon HS- Strahm is a DB / WR who is playing relief QB and a one man wrecking crew. Perhaps the best athlete in the State and a young man who should be on every colleges radar. Last week he ran for 195 yards and 2 TD’s against North Medford and he tossed for another 108. He is the leading passer, RB, and WR on the team. And he is even better at on Defense? Wow. Catch his Film here-
Early Playoff Predictions: Tigard and Central Catholic are the teams to beat. Both have massive lines and featured RB’s. Neither team has an elite QB but both squads have a fleet of Wide receivers. Bot feature great linebackers and DB’s. Tigard’s strength of schedule pushed them ahead of CC in the polls but CC took first back last week- either way CC is on the top of the bracket and Tigard is on the bottom. CC beat Tigard in the final 4 last season- and the Tigers want the Title badly. They both have to get to the finals- it’s anyone’s guess who will win if they make that final game.
We also believe Westview at #12 is a sleeper. They have the #1 QB in the State and the #5 RB in Trevor Bovero. They also have Ian Meyers at TE who is a Top 10 WR at 230 lbs and 3 other top receivers. They never punt and always kick onside and go for it on every 4th down. Their line while not big is athletic and the pace of game they play is designed to take down bigger more physical teams. The Cats love to pass- but they can certainly run the ball too. Watch out for them.
West Linn is dangerous- South Salem might surprise some people and no one up North here really knows what to expect in Grants Pass; the Cavemen could be a real serious threat in that #3 seed.